Friday, October 2, 2009

made it to moz!

Got into Maputo yesterday! The 15 hour plane ride wasn't too uncomfortable...I've had the flu so I took some Nyquil and knocked out for about 13 hours of the flight :) Finally saw the Hangover too. Pretty hilarious, except for I feel like a lone wolf who has lost her wolf pack.

We leave tomorrow for our homestay in cold, muddy southwest Mozambique. On the map my house is a "stone's throw" from Swaziland and right next door to a church. In our emergency phrasebook provided by Peace Corps, I feel one of the most important phrases given was "Nao quero ir a igreja" or "I don't want to go to church." Especially after 6 days of training from 7am to 5pm. Plus homework. I feel like I'm back in school again, especially with the 10 weeks of training almost exactly mirroring the UC schedule...a little weird but strangely comforting.

I'll be buying a cell phone next Saturday, around the 10th so I'll be posting up a phone number you can text (if the rates aren't too crazy) or can call using skype!! I'll have way more interesting stuff to talk about at that point too and I'm pretty sure something hilarious will have happened to me by then, so be prepared.

Today we were introduced to the HIV/AIDS Project and I'm sooo excited for the work! This year they've refocused to do more cross-cutting work, integrating HIV/AIDS education and awareness into all aspects of life: education, economics, etc. so we'll be able to have numerous partners and help as many people in the community with ideas as we can responsibly take on. I'm extremely excited and know that the work will get me through the tough times here.

We'll be getting our site placements on Thanksgiving so I'll know in Nov where I'll be for the next 2 years!!!

Until next time, much love...

**Correction! New address:
Donna Bean, PCT
Corpo da Paz
Avenida do Zimbabwe #345
Maputo, Mozambique

1 comment:

  1. hey donna, that address you gave is just for the 10 weeks of training, yeah? just checking. if anyone will immerse herself in the experience and do everything possible to better the lives of those in the community, it is you. can't wait to hear about all your experiences. you'll have to let me know when you're all settled in, so i can start planning a visit ;) miss you already donna bean!!

    ReplyDelete