Monday, March 8, 2010

in recent news...

Last you heard from me I had just gotten to site, subsequently robbed, then, feeling pretty useless due to lack of work but at least I had a puppy to keep me busy. And a shaved head.

Now, two months later, life in Mozambique is definitely looking up. Why, you ask?

1. New house! More robber-proof since I live in the same yard/complex as my landlady, known as “dona da casa”. (side note: I thought it was bad having people make fun of my last name in the States—“is your dad really Mr. Bean?” or “haha your last name makes me fart”—but here I am constantly getting “Dona…Dona what?” “No, not Dona like dona da casa, sir, Donna, like a name.” “What?” sigh. “Fine, just call me Dona Donna”). I do have an indoor bathroom which is nice at night, but no running water. Split the water bill now though, so the $200 a month I receive as PC stipend will be stretched out a little further!

2. I actually have work to do! With my first organization, PROLIR, we have just finished trainings of our activistas (community activists) to start a project in the beach communities of Chicuque, working primarily with local fishers. The project aims to reduce the amount of illegal fishing activity, preserving local ecosystems, while also educating local people on nutrition and other income-generating activities.

3. My second organization, ICAP, is proving to be a great source of motivation, both in country and for my thoughts for what to do at the end of service. ICAP is in partnership with MISAU (the Ministry of Health) to provide and administer antiretroviral drugs (ARVs) in my province, Inhambane. So, as a community volunteer, I’m working in the rural hospital, the community health center, and with local HIV/AIDS associations to help improve drug adherence and local capacity. Mozambique has had ARV treatment for about 5 years now, so working on drug adherence this early on is great and hopefully will prevent the progression of drug resistant strains in country.

4. I’m learning the local languages! I can now speak some Xitswa (sheets-wa) and Gitonga (gee-ton-ga), which really helps me with work. Going out into the community, away from the city, more people (especially older generations) speak mostly in one of the local languages. Children grow up with either Xitswa or Gitonga as their first language, and not until 1st or 2nd grade do they start learning Portuguese as a second language (though some families do begin Portuguese instruction at the home). Learning a local language also makes me more legit in the market so I don’t get charged “mulungu” prices.

5. Also have done a little bit of traveling around the province, up North to Vilankulo and around my site, Maxixe, to check out local beaches. Yesterday, I went on an adventure with Luis and saw mangroves, blue jellyfish, a squid, a black and white sea snake, sea slugs, fiddler crabs and hermit crabs! It is absolutely, breathtakingly gorgeous here. Many times the view from my house, or a friend’s house, or from crossing the bay by dhow boat, or from an isolated beach, makes me realize (sad that I’d forgotten) how beautiful the world is, no matter where you are. The Indian Ocean is definitely my favorite ocean and I can’t wait to send out/post pictures. My Dad is sending a camera charger this month so by next month I should have great pictures up of my travels in the province of Nampula and Ilha da Mocambique up North! (I’m going to be there for PC “reconnect”, a conference for debriefing our first 3 months at site).

Okay, I think that’s got you caught up on my life so far. Tell me about how you’re doing. The recent acts of intimidation at UCSD are a disgrace. I wrote and sent a letter to Chancellor Fox about it, hoping my status as former alumni and president maybe helped in some way. I feel guilty for not being able to do more. Let me know how campus is, please, and I hope finals and projects are going well otherwise. And let me know what happened March 4th! I’m proud of everyone (allies) at UCSD, love you.

I hope to hear from you all soon!! (Although Camus would say that hoping is to stop living in the present, so to hope is to cheat on life, but I still hope to hear from you anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment